Monday, July 12, 2010

A Woman's Story and a Great Luncheon

Over the weekend, my friend Dinorah Diaz, who is running to be the next 187th District Judge, held a wonderful luncheon at a fine restaurant. Her guest speaker Sarwat Husain, who is also a close friend of mine, told of her move to America and her life as Muslim woman in a post-9/11 world. Mrs. Husain's inspiring story of her journey from her native country to America reminded me of my own move to this country. America's own story is filled with the changes and sacrifices people make to come and be American. I chose to move here, raised my children here, and I will spend the rest of my life in America.

A pleasant surprise for all of us was when Linda Chavez-Thompson came to give some opening remarks for Dinorah Diaz. Mrs. Chavez-Thompson is on her way to be the next Lieutenant Governor of Texas. With all these great women involving themselves in leadership roles, our state has a bright future ahead.

Photos Courtesy of the Walker Report

No comments:

Post a Comment